Friday, January 27, 2006

Perfection

Absurd, isn't it? To expect perfection. Heck for me to even expect what I've been putting up here while I'm in my sorry state of existence could be, in the eyes of just about any person with an inkling of rational, reason sufficient to laugh me to scorn.

What makes me think I deserve even a woman who's closer to it than I am or striving for it?

I think that's the point. I've been told by many to "marry up," that being to marry someone better than myself. It's something I'd love to, and plan on, doing, in all honesty. But the thing is that this presents the previously mentioned problem of actually finding a soul willing to inhibit aspects of their growth and progression for companionship with me AND the problem of going about such a daunting venture of finding such a person filled with mercy. But I think that's what is intended by the system and the way it's been set up. I don't think any of us are really 'worthy', in and of our selves, for the person that God would have us be with (that statement is assuming that we have one select person, I don't believe that to be the way things are, however, I think there's a sufficiently wide number of potential companions that we could be perfectly happy with and reach our best potentials with). I think realizing that is something that, if we, men, achieve, then we can more properly understand our relationships as they are intended.

I don't mean we're to grovel or that we are worthless. I simply mean that I think the kinds of relationships that we are permitted to have the capacity to create and develop are forms of mercy being extended to us beyond our merit. I actually think the mercy of God has some of it's greatest potential manifestation in the relationship between husband and wife. Of course the more both of them aspire to truths, and to fall in line with those truths, the more likely they are to experience of the mercy that is the relationship between man and wife.

Now don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying other relationships are not manifestations of such love from God NOR am I saying that they are lesser forms of the manifestation, necessarily. Rather I feel that marriage between man and woman is one of the most open conduits through which we can obtain some of the sweetest portions with the least amount of actual contribution on our part. Clearly we must contribute. There's no such thing as an entirely passive relationship. Such is not a relationship at all, rather a mechanical interface between a user and an object being used.

Anyway. That's some of today’s thoughts that I had time and desire to put down in pixels.

--Still Searching

3 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Interesting insight. But the question of perfection is rather subjective don't you think? Perfection is based primarily on the standards you yourself create.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Good point, katrina. Also, perfection defies humanity. We as humans are subject to flaws. Everyone has them. Perfection, if taken literally, is an unattainable goal.

What do you mean by perfection?

7:33 AM  
Blogger HiveRadical said...

katrina (and eventually jen),

You express a sentiment found to be all too common in the intellectual culture most dominant, and likely the view held by the majority of all people in our culture.

Is it, perfection, subjective at it's core? Let’s look at it relative to existence.

I'm not sure how well you are aware of universal constants. I'm no physicist but I've gleaned, from a brief review of scientific statements, that the universe has a set of constants that, if changed --- even slightly --- the universe would cease to exist. And while there may very well be a different balance of these constants that would permit the existence of a totally different existence -- as far as the universe goes -- they've yet to find any such combination that would even hint at being a plausible combination in the mathematical models they've constructed for such theoretical alter universes.

Now you may try and say that to compare the perfection in the universe, or the perfect state of the universe's constants, to the human condition does not present a viable correlation, or does not have connection to human perfection. If that's your stance I'd want to see the argument for separating humans from the universe they occupy---in terms of perfection. Essentially, if one portion of the universe has arrived at, or maintained eternally, a perfect state, then what's to say that there's not such a point for any kind of entity in the universe?

You are operating under the assumption that perfection is merely a subjective state qualified by the observer. I'm operating under the assumption that a perfected state, a state in which existence, and hence the purpose for existence, is maximized, is possible at at least some instance in the span of existence.

Both are dogmas and both are as unverifiable as the other, at least by means that can be clearly and unequivocally conveyed from one mortal to another with no doubt. But the point is that your view of perfection as only being an ideal construct in the context of one's sentience is something that is dependant on grand assumptions as to our state and the state in which we reside.

I'm not sure if this is coming across as clearly as I hope it is so I'll try another angle.

Do you believe that being a 'realist' is possible?

Now my experience has given me the observation that generally those who take the stance of only trusting 'empirical evidence' (i.e. evidence that can be quantified and seemingly reliably conveyed from one intelligence to another) consider themselves the only true realists, for they are the ones that demand ‘physical’ and direct affirmation of all aspects of their knowledge. So if we are to see a realist as being someone who bases their reasoning primarily, or exclusively, on that which they consider to be empirically based data, that which they can use to reliably communicate with other sentient intelligent beings, then you have the problem of the fact that none of us can actually do that in infallible purity. We all depend on assumptions about the systems we analyze. Even scientific models, more so as they approach ever more macro or ultra-micro (quantum) views are dependant on massive assumptions. As these assumptions affect the capacity to discern the world they affect the persons view of reality. Thus even our capacity to be 'realists', especially on any view larger, or more precise, in scope than a simple experiment in mechanical physics or chemistry performed in the common confines of a lab, is a capacity we cannot reach.

Now before I get too far I realize you could take this whole argument against our capacity to presently perceive sufficiently, to even discern, exactingly, reality, as being proof for the inability to discern, and thus reach, any concept of perfection beyond, or even many contained in, the constructs of the minds of individuals. That would be correct IF you made such conclusion with the assumption that we, as humans, or something of a similar composition cognitively, would be unable to go beyond the finite, to grasp the whole of comprehension.

And that's an assumption I'd take issue with. Both because it seems to me to unnecessarily limit the view of our universe, I mean we really have no reason to utterly reject the possibility of a being that could be that far beyond us in capacity and discernment. And then I also hold to a dogma or two, as untenable as your seeming assumption of subjectivity being the base of perfection (which you only seem to see as a construct of a mortal's thoughts instead of an actual possible universally set state of being) that inform my mind and heart otherwise.

Well I'm talking too much.

(this is about where the response begins to encompass jen's question)

Back to your question. I'd say that perfection is a set of standards revealed by God.

Please do realize that I'm not saying I'm looking for a perfect woman, rather, I'm looking for someone who is striving to be perfect. I think that perfection, while not available to us here and now on our own, is still available and still that for which we are to aim and that which we can achieve through the grace of God.

I literally believe the command of God "Be ye perfect." I may be a fool in your eyes for believing either that God commanded that, or meant it, or can make it possible for us, but that's something I'm happy to concede. That is, that I'm a fool.

I like the essence of Don Quixote in Cervantes' "Man of La Mancha" when he talks of the insanity of what this world calls insanity. The "dream the impossible
dream" refrain is such only in the view of those who think they know what reality is and isn't. To them it is a dream and it is impossible. But due to the fact that their hold on reality is only an illusion, they can call such impossible only by blindly following the dogma of the infallibility of their perceived reality.

Sorry for the long-winded response. It was as concise as I think I could, at present, make it.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home